Fibromyalgia Does Define You but it Doesn't Have to Defeat You

I would like to post one thought  I continue to ponder. This idea of mine keeps reemerging, when I follow others tweets on the subject of Fibromyalgia. So many people, bloggers and holistic/medical practitioners are adamant about quoting the same concept "Fibromyalgia doesn't have to define you."
Well, I call shenanigans.
It's time to liberate this type of thinking.
Fibromyalgia, whether we like it or not, does define you. I saw this not to take the wind out of hopeful sails. But simply to breathe some realistic pov into the mix.
Fibromyalgia defines all of us who suffer from it. In fact it even defines much of the lives of those closest to us. My husband is absolutely finely tuned, and dialed in to the inner workings of his wife's disease.
To deny that we are not defined by this disease perpetuates the mystery of this disease. It makes us continue to act tougher than we need to be. A characteristic of many people, myself included, who suffer from fibro is we are overacheivers, multi-multi-multi-taskers. We are stubborn go getters who not only can do and do and do more, but don't have time to get sick.
BUT WE DID. So why put on that face, that mask, that hides this "invisible disease" as they call it-by saying we are NOT defined by it?

My life is. I lost my job. I had to change my diet. I have started an entirely new life and new life routines. I sleep differently. I have to plan differently. I have learned and am learning everyday life tools to manage my symptoms-control my stress-understand my body-learn how to listen to my body...the list goes on.

So why are we deadset on being so stubborn and coming off so strong as to say fibromyalgia doesn't define us?

I am not ashamed that I have this disease. My life is absolutely defined by it. As anyone with any disease is defined by that.

BUT my life is not defeated by it. I wish other fibro sufferers would simply embrace the honest and realistic approach to these things. And I wish doctors and medical professionals would quit blowing smoke up our rear ends, pushing this BS.

I am happy to stay positive, seek ways to control and manage my disease, my flare ups etc. But I am 100% opposed to smoke in mirrors.

Lets be honest here and open the dialogue in a real way. No one does it enough with fibro. You can be hopeful and embody hopefulness and optimism with this disease while still communicating your pain, frustration and trials.

Peaks and Valleys. It is Peaks and Valleys in this world of fibro, defined by it but not defeated.

0 comments:

Post a Comment