Choose Your Own Adventure: College Degree or Drug Addict? Only One Gets SSI

I've been researching disability benefits for Fibro sufferers. As you may know, I am awaiting the decision from the SSA for my application submitted in early October.
The most recent article I read mentioned something rather disturbing to me. It said that the evaluators do not just judge your "performance" as in how you are presently functioning in life, but they judge your education and work history.
The more education you have acquired, and the higher one may have been employed in the career ladder often decides their eligibility.
What does this mean?
It's simple really. It is the most backward display of a double standard you may see in this day and age.
If you are college educated, and or, held a position which required many levels of talents, skills and responsibility you are expected to be able to employ yourself despite your illness or disease and the state that is in.
If you did not pursue a higher education, and were employed in jobs that required the same or minimal skill sets, then you have fewer expectations from the government.
So, despite suffering from an illness that debilitates you and does not discriminate on whose life it takes over and destroys, if you spent a few years getting a college degree and working a few jobs that required different skills, or even grew your skillset-you are probably going to find getting approved for social security very difficult.
However, had you not pursued those things, and still succumbed to this disease you will likely be covered, have little expectations to figure out how to make a living and be rewarded with the SSI.
This is all speculation based off of an article I read. But in the end it really upset me. I mean, I LOVED my life and my job. I loved working. But I can't now. Its not that I don't want to be, and I certainly hope one day in the future I can work for my personal enjoyment and fulfilment again, but right now its not the cards.
So why should my education and skill sets matter? At the end of the day, my pain is equal to anyone's and I am curled up on the shower floor crying wondering how I got here.
Make it right SSI. If anything, my bigwig college degree (which means nothing these days) and my very decent salary paid for my benefits. I earned my screwed up disability and paid for it for the last 16 years, so give me what I have worked for and let me have some dignity.
I have friends who earned disability after abusing drugs for a decade, losing their job and going into rehab...yet somehow, I am potentially being excluded because my disease is not so easily explained.
Irony-this disease could make me a drug addict and I'll just reapply the next time and claim rx dependent.
Am I the only one who is seriously distraught over this system? Think of all the people affected by this everyday. It's not right.

1 comments:

  • Southern-City Belle | August 6, 2012 at 9:19 PM

    Double standards! I am four classes shy of my mba, loved my job but again another flare up has forced me out of a job. I am in the starting pharse of ssi/ssa and after reading this I am concerned.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and knowledge...

Post a Comment